You can’t be an independent media unless you are independent.
For this reason, the Bioscience Resource Project accepts no commercial advertising and no corporate funding of any kind. The project accepts funding only from individuals and Community-oriented Foundations.
Nevertheless, we do have both ongoing and special expenses. We need subscriptions to scientific journals, as well as office supplies, computers, and software. We also have internet, phone, and communications expenses, plus we need web design and security and website hosting. Additionally, we have mailing-list costs and scientific publication expenses. Sometimes we need to attend scientific conferences or to contribute funding to special projects like the Poison Papers.
Many donors and small donations, coupled with a small budget and mostly volunteer labor, ensure that financial considerations will never threaten the quality or independence of the Project (sadly the standard fate of most media organizations). We suggest to regular users of this website (or of Independent Science News) that they donate $25 per year. Our small budget (usually of less than $10,000) enables millions of article downloads from the BSR and ISN websites and syndicated content (and now the Poison Papers website), as well as conference attendance, research and publication costs, and the hosting of local events. And the more readers who donate, the more we can expand our projects, content, and reach.
We have a small budget but big aims and we make the most of our donations.
- The Project itself is staffed entirely by volunteers.
- We do not pay for office space.
- Almost all Independent Science News articles have been written expressly for and donated to ISN by experts in their field.
We are looking for funding (or other ways) to expand our work:
- To extend our in-depth scientific research and analysis to fields such as toxicology, soil science, nutrition, public health, and water quality.
- To provide additional news coverage.
- To travel to meetings and conferences or to speak to students or the public.
- To research and publish more scientific papers.
We encourage you to support and grow the Bioscience Resource Project and Independent Science News by making a financial donation or by contributions of time and talent.