How did the intellectual curiosity that led to hybrid seed production end up confining plant breeding to a straightjacket? In a 2002 Seeds of Change interview, Dr. John Navazio illuminates the historical, political, and practical dimensions of hybrid seed production versus breeding open pollinated (OP) varieties. In doing so, Navazio reveals how the economic concerns of the seed industry, rather than scientific rigor or the public interest, have determined the trajectory of academic plant breeding for decades, with its narrow focus on breeding for industrial agriculture and its reliance on hybrids and, more recently, genetic engineering. He discusses the radical philosophical implications and the on-the-ground practicalities of breeding specifically for organic farming, working directly with farmers, and of selecting for complex traits, rather than focusing on specific genes. As relevant now as it was when he gave it, Navazio’s interview can be accessed on the Bioscience Resource Project’s Agriculture resource page as: “Plant Breeding for the Future: A Breeder’s View of Hybrid Seed and Open Pollenated Varieties.” A more recent article: Debunking the Hybrid Myth, discusses the pros and cons of hybrids and OPs, and why seed companies favor hybrids. It is valuable to read both articles. Navazio is Senior Scientist at the non-profit Organic Seed Alliance (OSA). OSA uses a combination of public education, advocacy, and farmer assisted breeding in its work to preserve and promote agricultural genetic diversity as a public good.
Sign up to our mailing list
- The American Chestnut Foundation Bails as GE Chestnut Develops Growth and Fertility Problems and Fails to Resist the Blight December 15, 2023
- Transgenic Rice Once Again Proposed as Solution to Bacterial Blight Outbreaks, This Time in Africa September 14, 2023
- The Great Raccoon Dog Mystery June 29, 2023
- Children from Gamete-like Cells: Dishing up a Eugenic Future June 19, 2023
- Did West Africa’s Ebola Outbreak of 2014 Have a Lab Origin? October 25, 2022
- Fauci’s COVID Origin SWAT Team Versus the Mojiang Miner Passage Theory May 23, 2022
- Delete, Deny, and Destroy: Chinese and Western Strategies To Erase COVID’s Origin Are Being Exposed By Independent Research April 21, 2022
- Open for Military Business: Ebola Research at Canada’s Only BSL-4 Lab September 27, 2021
- Phylogeographic Mapping of Newly Discovered Coronaviruses Pinpoints the Direct Progenitor of SARS-CoV-2 as Originating from Mojiang, China August 2, 2021
- By Investigating Itself The US Can Answer Many Of The Key COVID19 Origin Questions June 8, 2021
Quote of the day
It is pure research, that which has no practical implication whatsoever, that enlivens the human spirit the most.- Bernd Heinrich, 'winter world, the ingenuity of animal survival'
Our latest video
- Recommended websites